Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Parent Pledge

Indiana asks parents to take pledge for schools

Hopes to encourage commitment at home

October 6, 2010

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Department of Education is touting a new "parents pledge" it hopes will increase parent involvement in schools.

State Supt. Tony Bennett says the pledge is a call to action for Hoosier parents. Parents can sign the pledge online or at one of the more than 80 schools that are promoting the pledge.

"By signing Indiana's Parent Pledge, you are signifying your strong and ongoing commitment toward the academic development and career success of your child," Bennett said.

The pledge:

• My child will read with an adult or be encouraged to read independently each day.

• My child will complete all homework assignments given by school instructors and will be encouraged to ask for help when it is needed.

• My child will arrive at school on time, well rested and prepared for a full day of instruction and learning.

• My child will treat teachers and fellow classmates with respect and compassion. I will make positive behavior the expectation in my household.

• My child will graduate from high school and will understand the importance of a strong education in determining future success.

• I will encourage my child to dream big and always give 100 percent effort.

• I will treat my child's teachers as a valuable resource and work with them to support academic improvement and classroom behavior expectations.

• I will monitor my child's academic growth and stay as involved as possible in my child's education. AP

No comments:

Post a Comment